Jubilee Ministries exists to train and support persons reaching out to people in need through service, partnerships, and advocacy.
Jubilee Ministry Functions:
- To challenge and confront Episcopalians and others to understand the facts of poverty and injustice, encouraging them to take an active role in meeting the needs of the poor and in the struggles against the causes of such suffering
- To locate and affirm as Jubilee Centers those congregations or ecumenical clusters directly engaged in mission and ministry among and with poor people
- To train clergy and lay volunteers, including poor and oppressed people, in the work of Jubilee Ministry
- To identify persons with gifts and skills helpful in Jubilee Ministry
- To select particular Jubilee Ministries as models, and communicate their work and methods to the wider church
- To report on issues that affect the poor, and on public policies and church policies related to those issues
- To cooperate with other organizations to develop an active network to respond quickly and significantly on public issues of peace and justice
- To promote evangelism, especially in the formation of minority-led congregations
- To issue grants as a concrete expression of the church’s commitment to this ministry
Since the formation of the Jubilee Ministry network, the following congregations in our diocese have applied for and have been granted Jubilee status.
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, Sacramento
Trinity Cathedral Center
Community Dinners; Pilgrimage SAC; Family Promise; Partnerships include Francis House, Loaves and Fishes, River City Community Services, and the Floyd Elementary School a school in which all students are living in poverty.
Trinity Episcopal Church Center, Sutter Creek
Health Ministry services and Health Advocacy, Break Bread with Friends: Saturday morning free breakfast and bag lunch.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Healdsburg
St. Paul’s Ministry Center
Housing/Homeless services, Shower Ministry, Food Bank, Latino Ministries
Episcopal Church of the Incarnation, Santa Rosa
The Living Room – drop in center for homeless women and children, Open Table Food program; Tutoring and Mentoring at Burbank Elementary School, Support for Food Program at St. Andrew’s in Monte Rio.
Shepherd by the Sea, Gualala
Gualala Food Bank – food distributions; Coastal Seniors Spaghetti Dinner and Senior Lunches; Financial support for the Food Bank, Coastal Seniors and Project Santa. Support for the Chitwe Secondary School, Kitwe, Tanzania;
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, Sacramento
St. Matthew’s Center: Food Pantry, clothes closet, health center; Latino Ministry
Epiphany Episcopal Church, Vacaville
Friday Night Hot Meals for low-income people includes helping people to find appropriate services and also offers health checks. These meals and the Tuesday Soup Lunches are provided in cooperation with various local congregations. Outreach to a local nursing home
Episcopal Church of St. Martin, Davis
Davis Community Meals, Homeless support, food baskets, advocacy, Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network, Support for international service projects in Sudan, Honduras, and other countries
Rebuilding Together Projects (renovating the homeless shelter and a local home); Thanksgiving Baskets; Collect socks, coats and baby clothes.
St. Alban’s Church, Arcata
Emergency shelter and meals with the Arcata Night Shelter. Helps provides transitional housing through the Arcata House, referrals, advocacy, Health Ministry, Street Meals , Community Thanksgiving Dinner; Camp Living Waters.
St. Nicholas’s Episcopal Church, Paradise
Loaves and Fishes Community Meals, Ride Program for those without cars, Blessing Basket Food Pantry and clothes closet.
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Marysville
Loaves and Britches
Wednesday Hot Lunches for the Homeless, Clothes Closet, Food Pantry and a place where various county agencies help people get the services they need.
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Cloverdale
Wallace House outreach to the homeless including a day center, transitional housing; Support for the Rapid Re-Housing Program, the Cloverdale Food Pantry, Outreach to the residents of King’s Valley Senior Apartments; Support and outreach to the Supportive Housing Program at Cherry Creek Village.