Human Resources

Human Resources

  1. The New Hire Form must be completed for all employees and returned to the Office of the Bishop.
  2. Review this Safety Manual and keep a signed copy of the receipt in the employee’s file.  
  3. Complete the W-4: Employee Withholding form as required by the IRS. This form must be retained in the employee’s file at the congregation. 
  4. Complete the I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification form as required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This form must be retained in the employee’s file at the congregation.
  5. Ensure Employees are Enrolled in the Church Pension Fund.  Both clergy persons and lay employees working 1000 or more hours per year should be enrolled in the Church Pension Fund. 
  6. Health Insurance Enrollment: All employees working 20 or more hours per week are eligible for health insurance. 

If your congregation provides State Short-Term Disability Insurance and Unemployment Insurance, these must be given to all employees: 

When an employee terminates their position, fill out the following forms, and return to the Office of the Bishop and/or CPG as stated: 

  1. Final Paycheck Acknowledgment Form (submit to OOB)
  2. Change in Relationship Form (submit to OOB) 
  3. Benefits Termination Form* (submit to OOB) 
  4. Pension Benefits Termination Form (submit to CPG) 

*Churches or institutions will be charged for health insurance until this form is filled with the Diocese. 

These performance evaluations were developed by the Office of the Bishop to facilitate annual employee reviews.  Churches and institutions of the diocese are welcome to use them but they are not required to do so.  Please contact us if you would like to change these forms in any way. 

The Employment Practices and Benefits (EP&B) Committee recommended a 2.5% COLA (Cost-Of-Living-Adjustment) for 2019, which was approved by the Board of Trustees. If your congregation chooses to make an increase to clergy/lay employee salaries, please complete the forms below.  

  1. Change in Employee Information Form (submit to OOB) 
  2. Employment Change Form (submit to CPG) 

At the end of every year, the Vestry or Mission Committee of each congregation should determine a housing allowance for clergy. Any changes that need to be made must be enacted by December 31 of the current year to be effective for the upcoming year. Please fill out one of the forms as applicable below. 

Most active clergy persons UNDER the age of 65, receive up to $100,000 in group term life insurance from the Church Pension Fund and an additional $20,000 in group term life insurance from their respective church institution. Most active clergy OVER the age of 65, receive an amount of group term life insurance as calculated by the Church Pension Fund. 

When the value of employer-provided group term life insurance coverage exceeds $50,000, there is imputed income related to this insurance that needs to be determined and reported. As imputed income, the excess amount of group term life insurance becomes a taxable value to an individual clergy person. The amount of imputed income is calculated by the Church Pension Fund based on a number of factors including age and the number of months the insurance was provided.  

After the Office of the Bishop receives this information, a letter is mailed out with the respective amount of imputed income for each employee to the employee AND the church institution where they are employed. 

Therefore, church institutions should not file W-2 Forms until after receiving a letter from the Office of the Bishop. In the meantime, each church institution should contact their respective payroll provider to inform them that the church institution is waiting to receive this information before filing W-2 forms.